John S. King
John S. King is a shareholder in the firm and practices as a member of the Estate Planning and Wealth Preservation Practice Group and the Business and Tax Practice Group. John served as a judicial clerk in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, after which he practiced law in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He joined our firm in 1995 concentrating in sophisticated estate and business succession planning. In 2001, John took a hiatus from the firm to join HSBC Private Bank where he served as leader of the Trust and Investment Management Group and was responsible for all aspects of the Bank’s Trust Department for the Central and Capital Regions of Upstate New York. Selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America, and in August of 2014, as the Syracuse, New York “2015 Lawyer of the Year – Trusts and Estates,” John’s practice focuses on estate planning for individuals and owners of closely-held businesses. He is a frequent lecturer on estate planning topics at seminars sponsored by the New York State Bar Association and other various professional organizations. A Central New York native, John is a 1984 honors graduate of Rutgers-Camden School of Law and a 1976 graduate of Syracuse University.
John is admitted to practice in the State of New York and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. He is a member of the New York State and Onondaga County Bar Associations, and in the past has served on the Executive Committee of the Trusts and Estates Section of the New York State Bar Association. He was recently named to the 2015 New York Super Lawyers – Upstate Edition.
John is currently on the Board of the Skaneateles Festival, the CNY Chapter of the Society of Financial Service Professionals, and is the past Chairman of the Board of the American Red Cross of Central New York.
John and his wife, Maren, live in the Franklin Square area of Syracuse, New York. They have two adult children.
- Business & Tax
- Estate Planning & Wealth Preservation
- Rutgers-Camden School of Law, J.D. (with honors), 1984
- Syracuse University, B.A., Music Ed., 1976
- New York State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Estate Planning Council of Central New York
- Society of Financial Services Professionas – CNY Chapter
- “Estate Planning for Closely Held Business Owners”
Central New York Business Journal, June 3, 2005
- “Estate Planning the Second (or Third) Time Around.”
Elder Law Attorney 8, no. 3 (Summer 1998): 11-14
- New York Super Lawyers – Upstate Edition: 2008 – 2015
- Best Lawyers in America 2007-2015